Sunday, February 17, 2008

things we have learned about Rhonda

I got a call a couple of days ago from a nice man that knew Rhonda and what her life was like for the last 5 or so years.
Rhonda lived on a farm and her owner died of a heart attack. she hadn't always lived with him, but she had spent a good portion of her life on the same farm. As the farm changed owners, so did Rhonda. And this girl has seen it all
Rhonda has known kindness and love. She has lived inside and outside. She has known what is it to be petted and to be kicked. She has known the luxury of a bed and the hardship of sleeping outside with no shelter.
It really amazes me how after all these different kinds of treatments, Rhonda still loves people. She is eager to greet them on the street, loves to go to the local gas station for pets and treats, and even greets other dogs like old friends.
Rhonda got a much needed bath today. I don't like to push the dogs too much at first so we waited until we could get her out in the sun and hooked the hose up to the kitchen sink. I don't think many people have bathed this girl cause she kept trying to get away, but it was way over due and she was getting a good scrubbing.
It took 3 shampoo's before she was clean. It also took over an hour of just scrubbing her back legs to get all the mats out. She is now like a new shiny penny. All pretty and clean and smelling sweet.
One of the things this nice man told me about Rhonda is that she is the gentlest dog he has ever known. She wouldn't hurt any thing or anyone. And she is now coming forward to ask for attention.
When new dogs come into our home, it can be stressful for everyone. I like to try all sorts of stuff with them. Usually, I get a couple of growls or something to let me know that I have gone far enough. But Rhonda has never told me this. She will quietly let me touch all her feet, run my hands over every part of her body and clean her ears no problem. there are no issues around food, toys or anything else.
Even little Sashka is starting to look towards Rhonda with affection. As we walked this morning Sash leaned over and gave her a quick little kiss.

No comments: