Friday, July 4, 2008

Things have been pretty quite lately

And I miss having the big dogs around. since Louie's adoption, I have been in contact with some of the shelters we work with but as of tonight, there are no dogs that need WCRR's help. That changes so very quickly.
I have been baking the worlds smelliest dog treats. The house is hot from the weather but even hotter having the oven on, and now it just plain smells. YUCK
But it is one of the many ways we try to raise some much needed funds. And to be really honest, the dogs everywhere love them.
I am going to take this slow time to remind people why WCRR does not take in owner surrenders. Our funds are low. Our mandate is rottweilers in shelters. Every single day I get an email from someone that has to get rid of their dog for one reason or another. And I tell these people no. Not because I don't care about these dogs, because I do care deeply. But these dogs have someone. The dogs in shelters don't. Yes they have the staff and the volunteers if there are any, but they have no one to speak for them directly. And if owners work hard enough I really believe they can either find a way to keep their dog or at the very least, find a suitable home.
But the dogs in shelters suffer in ways that dogs with owners don't. They get stressed because of the noise. They can start to act out and when that happens, no one can see past their behaviour. And they get sick. Often shelters can't afford to treat the dogs the way that private rescues can. So, to all the angry people out there that complain that I won't help them, I'm sorry. But the spots we have available are for those that are in danger. And to the shelters, let us know how we can help. Because we are there for the rottweilers in need.

No comments: