Thursday, April 17, 2008

Louie gets a new name

No pup that gets into as much as this one does deserves a name as dignified as Louie. So, I have decided to rename the little darling Mr. Destructor.

Why you may ask?? Simple. This boy loves to get into mischief.

Wednesday night: I am loading the dishwasher. The phone rings. I have to run upstairs to the computer. I'm up there maybe 5 minutes. What does Mr. Destructor do? He decides to UNLOAD the dishwasher.

Now, when I unload it, I take out a couple of dishes at a time and put them right in the cupboards. But not Mr. Destructor. Oh no. He takes out the whole rack. And drags it out of the kitchen and into the living room, all the while dragging broken dishes with him. I can only assume that he had plans to clean the dishes himself.

So, I hear all this crashing and I run downstairs to see what the devil dog is doing. And there he is sitting among the mess. I can't really yell at him because in all fairness I did leave the dishwasher door open. But I do tell him he is a bad dog.

Louie looks at me, sighs, and goes to his crate. Good thing I really like this dog.

On the up side of Louie, his training is coming along very nicely. He has learned not to pull a lot on the leash, he quickly sits (sometimes) when he is told and will now go directly to his bed to wait for dinner to be put down. He is even learning that when I say down, it means if he does it, he gets a treat. Louie really is a smart boy and will do well in obedience classes as long as you know that he is food motivated and wants to please. Using harsh corrections on this guy just doesn't work.
Whomever decides to make Louie a part of their family will be very lucky. He is a sensitive, loving dog that deserves his own home soon.

No comments: