Monday, January 28, 2008

having a puppy in the house

Anyone that knows me, knows I don't do puppies. I like the seniors, calm, quiet, relaxed. Personally I think puppies are evil evil little things. And I have one living with me right now.

Lana is a sweetheart but she is 12 weeks old. That means she is into everything. She chews everything, she jumps on everything and she needs to explore everything. Sashka and I are both tired today. Lana on the other hand is having the time of her life exploring the new world. She is never still unless she is asleep, she runs and jumps and plays with toys like a whirlwind. This puppy will need a home that can keep up with her. Someone that is home most of the time to supervise what she finds. Because she finds everything. Old bones that got stuffed under the couch, balls that found their way into the corner, she now (after 1 day) has learned how to open the cupboards.
I can't believe how smart she is though. She knows if she jumps up on you, she gets pushed away, but if she sits, she gets praise. She knows that if she brings her toy to you, you'll throw it or play with her, but if she doesn't let go right away, you turn your back on her. And meals, well, they are pretty exciting. And excitment means jumping. This morning it took her 15 minutes to figure out that I wasn't going to put down her bowl until she sat. But she finally did. I love having her here but I will be far happier when we find her the right home.

3 comments:

Mz.Elle said...

I know just what you mean!
When we adopted our rottiX (Beans)
11 years ago,she was 9 months old.
That was bad enough,lol
She grew into a great dog but still...I remember those puppy days. Then you have the dogs who are puppies forever,like Goldens and my former neighbor's pit bull.
I love pitties and she really helped foster that love but I'm questioning whether I could enjoy one fully. I like calm dogs;)

Anonymous said...

You are a braver lady than I. WAY Braver.

I have an opinion too said...

Well, its 7 pm and Lana is finally asleep (at least for a moment). I can't let her sleep cause I want to sleep tonight. Please someone slap me the next time I saw, what a cute puppy!!
and Jim, well, when we lost Brewster, he talked about how nice it would be to get a puppy that we could raise ourselves, one that we knew from birth (almost). He has now changed his tune and Lana has only been here 2 days.
So far today though, I have gotten her to sit and to do down. I'm hoping that the folks up north taught her that cause if not, this puppy is going to be way too smart for me.